Some kids whiz through elementary without a bump and then find that changing classes, adjusting to multiple teachers and the distraction of intense social dynamics throws them for a loop.
Making a commitment to coaching during middle school can make the transition to high school much easier and possibly head off months or years of struggle and frustration. Young adolescents have a developmental need to become independent and the last thing they want is to feel like they need to rely on Mom and Dad in order to get by. Coaching can give your child a sense of independence and give you the peace of mind to know they are developing the skills they will need in high school and beyond.
I meet with middle school students, grades 7 and 8 primarily in a group setting 1 time per week to get some good head-way on the changes they wish to make. Most students will:
- Learn how their personality fits their learning style
- Improve organizational systems for their work
- Learn how to monitor themselves academically and socially
- Become more resilient and learn to calm themselves
- How to choose and get along with friends
Parents will be kept in the loop to learn:
- About their child’s learning style and personality temperament
- How to respectfully communicate with one another and diffuse negativity
- To celebrate their child’s success and be their biggest cheerleader
The students who make the most profound transformation have parents willing to work on making positive changes in themselves and the family. Online parenting classes and parent coaching/consultation is highly recommended for parents when their student’s are at this age so that your child is getting reinforcement at home what they are learning in coaching and we are all on the same page in contributing to your child’s success.